Friday 8 April 2011

Practise Makes Perfect...and I need a lot!

I've been excited to try out my new piping bag since I got it and since we're having a chocolatey weekend for my Grandma I decided it could be my first attempt.


I had an idea in my head, tall swirly icing with many chocolatey things sticking out! Something like this...



So I picked the cupcake recipe, that was pretty easy, just a simple victroria sponge with cocoa added. They turned out pretty well.
Then the hard part, the icing. Maybe the first part of the problem is that I didn't follow a recipe, I just softened some butter and threw in some cocoa and icing sugar until it seemed thick. But having never piped icing before, I probably wasn't very good at judging what thick enough actually looked like!
So I was ready to start piping, I filled up the bag and had a go on cling film first. My next realisation was that the nozzle was a lot smaller than I had anticipated and it would be difficult to fill a whole cupcake, it wasn't the look I'd hoped for.

I starting filling whole cupcakes and sticking the decorations on but they were all pretty flat and disappointing.




I then decided to pipe some only in the middle and balance a piece of chocolate on top, this looked ok but they then sank a little!


 I'm quite pleased with how they turned out, I know they'll be tasty and my Grandma will like them. I'm just not sure whether the icing will actually set due to the consistency. Next time I will try with a bigger nozzle and think carefully about the icing to prevent the squishy, runny mess.


The Best One!




1 comment:

  1. I love making cakes too and I think the icing is always the best part :D
    I know what you mean about wanting them to have loads of swirly icing on, like those professional ones you see in shops, but I've tried and mine never turn out as good! (Although I've found the bigger sized icing nozzle, the easier it is to make them look alright...)
    I think yours look good for a first time, and as long as they taste good thats all that really matters!

    ReplyDelete