Monday 28 February 2011

Awesomnosity

I had a visit this weekend from the wonderful Izzy Bee, a friend from home. I had a lovely time doing lots of fun and indulgent things, we went to my union on the friday night and I had a very good night, I hope Bizzle did too and liked all my housemates and friends.

Then after a lazy lie in we ventured into the city and I found some vintagey different shops that I hadn't found since freshers and some shops and cafes that I didn't know were there so that was fun! Then after a cookie and some tea we went to see Gnomeo and Juliet.


I had seen adverts for the film and although it seemed funny, I have to admit I half expected it to be silly and childish. But I did enjoy it, particularly identifying all the familiar voices (Ozzy Osbourne, Dolly Parton, Julie Walters) and particular lawnmower advert which was hilarious! (you'll know if you see it)
Although all this 3D business is a bit over used now, Toy Story 3 and this film really don't need it, it doesn't add much!

We then went to McDonalds (I admit a slip of the vegetarianism!) and then back to watch Toy Story 3 on DVD since Biz hadn't seen it.

And this is where it's going to sound like I'm obsessed with food....and that's because....I think I am. I LOVE FOOD!

On Saturday night we did a rather strange shop at ASDA so we could make a really awesome cake, Iz had bought her peace cake mould and our aim was to make a colourful, striped peace cake!

We made a simple sponge mix then split the cake mix (rather unevenly) into three to add colouring to put it into the mould in layers.
After a nerve wracking bake in the oven the red had expanded and the cake looked odd.....

After putting it back in for the middle to be cooked we turned it out and were pleasantly surprised...


However, it was a wierd texture and rather springy on the outside and in the sunken sections. Anyway, we were ready to ice, we went for red buttercream but underestimated the proportions and got it a bit runny. We decorated with daisies.


and the inside....


well, never mind! I'm sure it got brighter once it'd been in the fridge because I took a piece to placement today and stood out :)

My housemate also made a cake, a carrot cake but from a mix. With the cream cheese icing she made it was delicious and outdid our cake (but she cheated!). All in all, It's going to be a cake filled few days.

On sunday we went to  Las Iguanas for lunch, I went for a couple of tapas dishes (and a few of Iz's curly fries)- Nachos and a mushroom Quesadilla- Delicious!


We then went to a tea shop in the backstreets of the city that we had found the previous day but it had been full, we managed to get the last seat. Lee Rosy's Tea has a wall of loose leaf teas in lots of flavours i've never seen before, I went for chocolate truffle and it was a very odd experience, like tea with an aftertaste, not hot chocolate like I was expecting! Anyway I plan to go again to try Vanilla, Caramel cream and loads of the other flavours and Definitely their cheesecake because it looked amazing, we were just too full!


All this dining has made me very excited to run my own teashop/ cupcakery one day, I can't stop thinking about it! I think I might need to improve my cake making skills first though, sometimes my spontaneity creates failure!

No comments:

Post a Comment