Wednesday 2 February 2011

Back to School.

So, as of yesterday I'm back to being 'teacher lady'! 
Started at my placement school yesterday, except I was 45 minutes late due to extreme loss of direction, not a good start. Had a wierd first day, a rather unfriendly supply teacher was in my Reception class in the morning so I pretty much did nothing and watched the children play. Had an induction in the afternoon which made me feel better though, because my teacher is very nice and useful in trying to involve us as much as possible.
However, I did arrive home yesterday in a tired, stressed state and drank copious amounts of tea then went to bed!


Today went considerably better, I didn't get lost and got to the school early, I sorted out the session I would be teaching before the children arrived and had an enjoyable morning.
I have been reminded of the wonderful comments that you get from children, for example-


After learning my name for the umpteenth time: 
"you're a miss, why aren't you married?"
My reply "I'm a bit young"
"no you're not, you're all growed up and you've got a job, so you should be married"!


While reading Little Red Riding Hood:
"I wouldn't be afraid of the wolf I'd just kick him in the pen*s" from a 4 year old.


I'm particularly interested by a 'selective mute' in my class, a girl who didn't say a word all day and apparently has never spoken in school. The school is teaching her Makaton (sign language) so she now answers the register and asks to go to the toilet but nothing more. Apparently, learning Makaton at school has now caused her to be completely silent at home now rather than the very small amount of speech only revealed at home.
I can't help but make it my personal goal to find out why this child doesn't want to speak and hear her say a word before I leave! Coincidently, I was asked my a co-ordinator at the school if I wanted to join a Makaton course they were running on wednesday lunchtime so that might be useful. 
So far the only Makaton I know is tea, biscuits and chocolate, what more do I need?!


I'm also helping out in the cooking after school club which I'm really looking forward to :)





No comments:

Post a Comment